Driven to make a positive impact on patients and communities globally, Sanofi Genzyme takes a diversified approach to philanthropy, combining in-kind contributions and volunteerism with direct financial support. Giving takes place at all levels of our company, ranging from large corporate donations, to cash contributions distributed by specific departments, to the generosity of our individual employees. We view our support as more than just financial contributions, but also opportunities to establish meaningful partnerships with those whose values we share and whose actions truly drive change.
Through our contributions program, Sanofi Genzyme distributes millions of dollars in donations each year to a wide array of recipients around the world. Our largest corporate donations often go toward major initiatives in science or health care by museums, research institutions, and global humanitarian organizations. Various divisions throughout Sanofi Genzyme also review proposals and fund many types of contributions, including research fellowships, event sponsorships, community group funding, and more.
Here are a few of Sanofi Genzyme's larger areas of focus in contributions and giving.
As part of our commitment to expanding medical knowledge and improving standards of health care worldwide, Sanofi Genzyme distributes many contributions to hospitals, research institutions, disease organizations, and medical education programs. Funded by our Medical Affairs and Science organizations, these grants target efforts in our areas of disease and therapeutic focus. We also have a program to fund research initiated by outside scientists whose work aligns with our areas of interest.
Sanofi Genzyme's Community Relations group is dedicated to supporting the communities in which we operate around the world. To that end, it extends contributions to non-profit organizations focused on science education, health care, and other community needs in areas of the U.S. where Sanofi Genzyme has a business presence. In 2014 we awarded over $1,600,000 in Community Relations contributions to nearly 100 organizations.
Recipients include health and education-focused non-profit organizations, community and grassroots agencies, and groups that provide broader, multi-community benefits. Our priority is to create sustainable partnerships that can have lasting impact, often by funding the same groups for different programs and initiatives over multiple years.
Here are some highlights of Sanofi Genzyme's philanthropic efforts across our various categories of giving:
- Cambridge School Volunteers –Since 1999, we have given nearly $160,000 in Community Relations contribution to support this Massachusetts group's Reading Buddies Program, in which our employees participate by reading one-on-one to first and second grade students throughout the school year.
- MetroWest Free Medical Program – Sanofi Genzyme began its partnership with this organization in 2008 and in 2014 gave another $10,000 Community Relations contribution that helped this organization offer opportunities for low-income, uninsured women to access health care services.
- West End House Boys and Girls Club – Since 2009, Community Relations contributions have supported the organization’s annual fundraising event that raises vital money to ensure year-round programs focused on academic support and college preparation, leadership and life skills, visual and performing arts, and fitness and nutrition.
- Science Club for Girls – Over the past ten years Community Relations contributions, amounting to over $140,000, have helped the Science Club for Girls develop and host Science Clubs in new communities throughout the Boston area.
- Boston HealthCare For the Homeless Program Inc. – In 2014, a $15,000 Community Relations contribution assisted this organization in providing critical health care to the homeless and extremely low-income individuals.
Last Updated: 9/28/2016