Sanofi Genzyme initiated the Chart Your Own Course LSD scholarship program in 2013; continuation of the program and/or any changes to the award amounts or other program details are at the discretion of Sanofi Genzyme.
- Applicants must be diagnosed by a medical professional with a lysosomal storage disorder (LSD), one of a group of 40+ genetic diseases. Proof of diagnosis (i.e., physician's letter) is required with the application.
- Treatment status is NOT relevant to the scholarship application. Applicants are not required to be taking a Sanofi Genzyme product or any other treatment in order to apply, and treatment status will have no effect on the review process.
- The program is only open to United States citizens or legal and permanent residents (i.e., green card holders).
- Employees or immediate family members of Sanofi Genzyme are not eligible.
- There is no age requirement, but applicants must be either a high school graduate; a high school senior intending to graduate in the current academic year; or holder of a GED® (General Education Development, i.e., high school diploma equivalency) credential.
- Applicants must be intending to enroll as a part or full-time student for the entire upcoming academic year at an accredited two- or four-year college, university, graduate school, vocational or trade school.
- Non-traditional students are encouraged to apply. If you have questions concerning eligibility, transcripts or financial requirements please call 507-931-1682 and ask for the Chart Your Own Course Program Manager.
Follow these steps to apply for the Chart Your Own Course program:
- Download the application form (PDF) and review its requirements.
- Gather supporting information and materials, including:
- Details of education and/or work experience
- Personal and/or parents' financial information
- Official school transcript(s)
- Letter or statement from a medical professional confirming diagnosis
- Fill out the form directly in the PDF, or print it and fill it out by hand, including writing the requested personal statements. (Use additional pages if needed, but be sure to follow the same format as on the application form.)
- Select an appropriate individual to provide a reference for you—ideally someone like a teacher, guidance counselor, employer, volunteer supervisor, etc.—and ask them to fill out the "appraisal" section of the form.
- After proofreading the entire application for accuracy and completeness, mail it to the address specified on the form. We recommend making a copy of the completed application to keep for yourself. Note that all applications must be postmarked by the July 6, 2018 deadline.
Within three weeks of submitting your application, you will be sent an acknowledgement email confirming that we have received your submission. If you haven't received the email within this timeframe, please contact Scholarship America to verify receipt of your application (see contact details at the right of this page, or on the application form).
Sanofi Genzyme has contracted with Scholarship America to administer our Chart Your Own Course program. Sanofi Genzyme and Scholarship America have worked together to develop objectives, guidelines, and evaluation criteria for the program; however, no Sanofi Genzyme employees are involved in the application review process. Scholarship America provides an experienced and entirely independent review committee to evaluate applications and select scholarship recipients. Awards are granted without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, gender, or national origin.
Time & details
- The application deadline is July 6, 2018; this means all applications must be postmarked by this date.
- Scholarship recipients will be announced in August. All applicants will be contacted by mail as to whether or not they have been awarded a scholarship.
- Recipients will have 30 days after being notified to confirm their acceptance of the scholarship; delays may result in forfeiture of the award.
- Recipients may be invited to participate with Sanofi Genzyme in optional publicity or media events for Chart Your Own Course over the summer.
Scholarship awards will be distributed in September 2018. Awards will be provided in the form of a check made payable to the recipients’ schools and mailed to recipients’ home addresses. Award recipients are responsible for providing checks to their schools.
Chart Your Own Course awards are for full-time undergraduate study (which includes professional study at a vocational-technical or trade school) or for full-time graduate study.
Awards are not renewable, but students who continue to meet eligibility requirements may reapply each year, provided that Sanofi Genzyme continues the program.
In the event of illness or other extenuating circumstances that prevents a recipient from using his or her award in the upcoming academic year, Sanofi Genzyme will consider a deferral of the award. Winners should contact Scholarship America immediately if such circumstances arise.